Read this eyewitness account:
Just after 9 o'clock heard the Cry of Fire. I saw the party come out of the Guard House. A Capt. cried out of the Window "fire upon 'em damn 'em." I followed 'em down before the Custom House door. Capt. Preston was out and commanded 'em. They drew up and charged their bayonets. Montgomery pushed at the people advancing. In 2 or 3 minutes a boy threw a small stick over hand and hit Montgomery on Breast. Then, I heard the word fire in 1/4 minute he fired. l saw some pieces of snow as big as eggs thrown. 3 or 4 were thrown at the same time of pushing on the other end of the file [line], before 1st gun fired. The body of People about a rod off. People said "Damn 'em they durst not fire don't be afraid." No threats.... I was a rod from Capt. Preston. Did not hear him give order to fire 1/2 minute from 1st Gun to 2d. same to 3rd. The others were quicker. I saw no people striking the guns or bayonets, nor pelting 'em. I saw Preston between people and soldiers. I did not see him when 1st firing.
Respond to these questions on paper and hand in.
1) What event do you think this is describing? Why do you think so?
2) In your own words, explain what happened.
3) Using information from the text and context clues, what do you think a "rod" is in this passage? Explain how you came to that conclusion.